8 QGIS Developer Meeting in Essen 2012
Version 30 (Otto Dassau, 06/11/2012 08:00 am)
h1. 8 QGIS Developer Meeting in Essen 2012
h2. Period and location
October 3rd-7th 2012, Essen, Linuxhotel (Germany)
Essen is a city in the central part of the Ruhr area in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. Located on the River Ruhr, its population of approximately 579,000 makes it the 9th-largest city in Germany. For the year 2010, Essen was the European Capital of Culture on behalf of the whole Ruhr area. You find more information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essen
The Linuxhotel (http://www.linuxhotel.de) is one of the nodes for open source training in Germany. For years, they support open source projects financially as sponsor and/or provide space for developer and project meetings for special conditions (see: http://www.linuxhotel.de/community.en.html). The QGIS project is thankful that the Linuxhotel (Villa Vogelsang) will host and support the 8th QGIS Developer Meeting.
D - 45279 Essen-Horst
Phone: 0049-(0)201 8536-600
Fax: 0049-(0)201 8536-605
We currently have 1 sponsor for the event :
* Linuxhotel (http://www.linuxhotel.de/) - they provide the venue for the meeting and accommodation, drinks, etc at very reasonable conditions
It will probably be possible for all participants to stay directly at the venue. The Linuxhotel provides special conditions for open source projects (see http://www.linuxhotel.de/community.html). The maximum number of beds for the special conditions (including single and double rooms, all rooms) is at about 24.
If necessary, they would also allow participants with sleeping bags, tents, etc, but we would not really recommend that. If there will be more than 24 participants, we will organize further accomodation nearby at a normal rate. So, be sure, we find a solution for that.
h2. Dining (Evenings)
We will provide more and detailed information about this important topic soon ;).
The Linuxhotel (Villa Vogelsang) in Essen can be reached by plane, train, car, foot, bicycle, ...
h3. By plane
There are several airports available. The websites show you, what airlines serve which airports.
* ***Airport Düsseldorf*** (http://www.duesseldorf-international.de/dus_en/). The Linuxhotel (Villa Vogelsang) is about 35 Minutes (with Taxi/Car) away from Düsseldorf airport and about 45 minutes by train (ICE to Essen HBF and then S3 to Essen-Horst - see "By train from Essen Main Station"). Costs are about 17 EUR.
* ***Airport Dortmund*** (http://www.dortmund-airport.de/5.html?&L=1). The Linuxhotel (Villa Vogelsang) is about 35 Minutes (with Taxi/Car) away from Dortmund airport and about 1:50 minutes by train (Bus and local train to Essen HBF and then S3 to Essen-Horst - see "By train from Essen Main Station"). Costs are about 14 EUR..
* ***Airport Cologne/Bonn*** (http://www.koeln-bonn-airport.de/index.php?id=1&L=1) The Linuxhotel (Villa Vogelsang) is about 50 Minutes from Cologne airport and about 1:40 minutes by train (ICE to Essen HBF and then S3 to Essen-Horst - see "By train from Essen Main Station"). Costs are about 19 EUR..
* ***Airport Weeze*** (http://www.airport-weeze.de/en). The Linuxhotel (Villa Vogelsang) is about 1:45h by Bus and local train away from Airport Weeze (Bus to Essen HBF and then S3 to Essen-Horst - see "By train from Essen Main Station"). Costs are about 20 EUR. The Bus timetable is here: http://www.airport-weeze.de/en/arriving_by_bus.html#overzicht_2
h3. By train from Essen Main Station
You can buy tickets online at http://www.bahn.de/i/view/DEU/en/index.shtml
The nearest train station to the Linuxhotel is called "Horst S-Bahnhof Essen (Ruhr)" (S3). It is a 10 minutes walk away. The nearest train station with taxi waiting area is called "Essen-Steele". If you arrive from Essen main station at Horst S-Bahnhof Essen (Ruhr), then go under the tracks, up the hill, at the end right into "Lindkenshofer Weg". After 200m turn right again into "Eberhardstr.". This leads you straight to the brown wooden door of our villa Vogelsang. Also see figure: http://www.linuxhotel.de/pics/karte-s-bahnhof.png
h3. By car
Nearby Autobahn/Highway exits are:
* A40 Exit/Ausfahrt Nr. 27 "Essen-Kray"
* A40 Exit/Ausfahrt Nr. 26 "Essen-Frillendorf"
* A52 Exit/Ausfahrt Nr. 30 "Essen-Bergerhausen"
If you leave the Autobahn, drive in direction to "Essen-Steele" and follow the signs to "Essen-Horst". You will pass two super markets "Aldi" and "Lidl" and a level crossing. From the intersection Dahlhauser Straße/Von-Ossietzky-Ring in the center of Essen-Horst you will find signs to "Villa Vogelsang". Also see figure: http://www.linuxhotel.de/pics/karte-autobahn.png and http://www.linuxhotel.de/pics/karte-essen-horst.png.
* Users Feedback
|*0*|Mr Example|France| 02.10 (17h)| 07.10 (18h30)| Linuxhotel| Cloud Geo Design 2.0 support|
h2. Individual Preparation
* Bring your own computer. Better with a power bar and long cable, and ethernet cable (we'll provide wifi, but better you have a cable, too).
* Install git and the compiler tools, and come with a working QGIS development environment if possible.
* Is the QGIS Hackfest just a coding event?
** It is mainly a coding and documentation event. It is a working session for people who are already participants in the QGIS project and/or are committed to improving the QGIS project.
** On demand we can do some presentations of current working qgis implementation and new upcoming features to spread the idea of openGIS software
* Is the QGIS Hackfest for developers only?
** No: anybody can help, with testing, checking out bugs and fixes, documentation and more.
* Where can I get help and more information about the hackfest?
** Contact Otto Dassau <dassau_at_gbd-consult.de> or Horst Düster <horst.duester_at_kappasys.ch>
h2. About Essen and the Rhur area