10th QGIS Developer Meeting in Brighton 2013 (12th - 16th September)
- Time and location
- Sponsors and supporters
- Arrivals / Welcome Day (Thursday the 12th)
- Hackfest (Friday 13th - Sunday 15th)
- Extended Hackfest and Departure / Travel to FOSS4G (Monday 16th)
- Getting to venue
- University of Sussex
- Room sharing
- Individual Preparation
- About Brighton
- FOSS4G 2013 (Nottingham)
- Shuttle Bus from Brighton to Nottingham
- Points of Interest Map for FOSS4G
Time and location¶
September 12th-16th 2013, Brighton, Great Britain
For those who are interested in attending FOSS4G 2013 (17th-21st September) in Nottingham, transport will be arranged.
University of Sussex
Sponsors and supporters¶
There's a loose schedule for sessions based on the preferences given in the "doodle". The items printed in bold should really pay attention to the schedule, because of intercontinental audience or large groups.
|09:00||S1||New Webpage||Configuration Editor||Documentation|
|S2||Attributes Qt Creator||Database abstraction layer|
|11:00||S1||VL Refactoring/Attribute domains||3D||Indexing|
|S2||Processing||WMS (Tiles and Legend)|
Arrivals / Welcome Day (Thursday the 12th)¶
Start time: 9:00 am
End time: --:--
On this day, we will be hosting the HF in the Friston Building, Room 113, University of Sussex. People will arrive at different time. You can go to your hotel to check-in first and then join us:
To get to Sussex University, you can get a train from Brighton Station to Falmer:
Hackfest (Friday 13th - Sunday 15th)¶
Start time: 9:00 am
End time: --:--
The University of Sussex have kindly offered to provide us with a room in which to hold the Hackfest with all the amenities you'd expect. They are able to give us access to this room from Friday to Sunday (inclusive).
The meeting room is located in Global Studies School Office (marked with a purple C on the campus map).
Extended Hackfest and Departure / Travel to FOSS4G (Monday 16th)¶
Monday is the 'day of arrival' for FOSS4G and we anticipate that HF attendees will either be leaving the UK or travelling to FOSS4G on this day (please see below for details on getting from Brighton to Nottingham). We have booked Marwoods function-room for Monday between 9:00-12:00. Those traveling to Nottingham (FOSS4G) will be leaving shortly after lunch.
Here are a few recommendations with very rough indicative prices (for 4 nights). It is recommended to book as soon as possible to avoid lack of rooms and also increases in price. All hotels are central to Brighton. The main venue (the University of Sussex Campus) will be reached by train each day, therefore the distance of each venue from Brighton rail station has been listed.
- IBIS, £316, 0.1 miles from the Station http://www.ibis.com/gb/united-kingdom/index.shtml
- Jurys Inn, £308, 0.2 miles from the Station http://brightonhotels.jurysinns.com/
- Premier Inn, £376, 0.4 miles from the Station http://www.premierinn.com/
- Travelodge, £371, 0.5 & 1.0 miles from the Station http://www.travelodge.co.uk/
- HOME Guest House, £374, 1.0 miles from the Station http://comestraighthome.com/
- HouseDean Farm Campsite, £36, 1 mile down the road from the University of Sussex http://www.housedean.co.uk/
Please see the Map of Brighton Way-points below for hotel locations. Please also see the Notes column of the table in the Participation section below for details of room offers / shares. https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=207877638500773810999.0004e3578a1558539f9f0&msa=0&ll=50.842153,-0.108662&spn=0.055933,0.169086
Lunch and dinner will be provided. The following venues have been booked for dinner:
- Sat 14 September @ Al Rouche (http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/al-rouche-brighton)
Lunch for Monday 16 September is booked at Foodilic (http://www.foodilic.com/). Breakfast will not be provided as it is assumed that most will eat breakfast at their Hotel.
Getting to venue¶
- From Gatwick Airport: Train station is located at the South Terminal. If your flight is to the North Terminal, there will be a shuttle train to the South Terminal. Follow the signs for national rail. There will be several kiosk to buy your tickets from. It takes around 30 minutes from Gatwick Airport to Brighton station. You can check trains departure times and buy tickets from http://www.nationalrail.co.uk.
- From Heathrow Airport: You can get a direct coach (http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx) to Brighton. There might be more frequent coaches to Gatwick Airport. You can get one to Gatwick Airport and take the train from there.
- From other airports/stations (through London): To get to Brighton, you can catch train from London Victoria or St. Pancras train stations directly to Brighton.
University of Sussex¶
The venue is located within University of Sussex campus (https://www.sussex.ac.uk/webteam/gateway/file.php?name=campusmap.pdf&site=271). To get to University of Sussex, you can catch train from Brighton station.
- Domains for attributes
- QgsVectorLayer enhancements
- Add a virtual base class for common methods in QgsVectorDataProvider and QgsVectorLayer
- Refactor the geometry-independent methods out in a QgsDataTable superclass
- Move all the attribute editor widgets data and methods out of QgsVectorLayer
- Client side
- Provider side
- Configuration Editor (for plugins)
- QgsExpression to SQL translator
- Is a database abstraction layer
- Compatibility impacts
- Performance impacts
- QtDesigner plugin for attribute editor widgets
- Main reason: Using the object name for field identification does only allow a very limited set of names
- Assign configuration options on a widget basis and not a field basis
- New Webpage
- I'm sure there is a lot more to discuss about our awesome new presentation for 2.0
- Processing architecture session (with main author Victor)
- a small session about the architecture of the Processing plugin and how to easily develop new algorithms for it
- Trying to reuse documentation in application; minimize html in Application (context_help and functions_help)
- currently those two sections are a huge translate burden, while they probably also should be available in the documentation also
- would it be possible to pull make context_help point to certain documentation parts, and pull function_help into documentation also. And then let QGIS just point to those parst (online, or maybe a simple copy should be included in app)??
- QGIS Server and web client development
- New QGIS server features
- New QGIS web client features
- Version for mobile clients (tablets, smartphones)
- 3D in QGIS (Input presentation by Matthias Kuhn)
- Support for Z in QgsGeometry ?
- Support for 3D geometry types (PolyhedralSurface, TIN, Solid ?) and within providers ? (postgis)
- Future of 3D visualisation options (Globe mostly)
- OpenGL integration ?
- Preparations for FOSS4G Processing Workshop (Victor, Paolo, Anita)
- if possible, please let's schedule this for Saturday afternoon
- Qt QML (Friday afternoon, informal round table)
- Qt Markup Language is an alternative to using widgets in newer Qt versions
- It is mainly used for mobile devices
- There is a (still incomplete) HTML compiler available
- We don't have much experience, so if somebody does have experience, this will be much more interesting
- Python Plugins Repository and Python Plugin Installer
- Better presentation of tags
- Maximum QGIS Version and versioning scheme
- New features
|*#*||Participant||Country||Arrival||Departure||Accommodation||Notes||By car/bus/train from Gatwick Airport|
|1||Saber Razmjooei||UK||--.--||--.--||At my place|
|2||Paolo Cavallini||IT||12 sept 14:20||22 sept 18:40||Ibis||Gatwick Airport|
|3||Marco Bernasocchi||CH||12.09 (11.10)||14.09||IBIS (booked)||Sharing room with Matteo Ghetta||Heatrow Airport|
|4||Joana Simoes||ES||12.09 18:40||15.09 (evening)||Colson House||Gatwick Airport|
|7||John Patmore||UK||--.--||--.--||At my place|
|8||Giovanni Manghi||PT||11/09 23:00||16/09 17:00||Will stay at Hugo||Airport|
|9||Tim Sutton||ZA||--.--||--.--||Will stay at Saber||?||?|
|10||Anita Graser||AT||14.09. 13:00||FOSS4G||Four Seasons Guest House||arriving with Marko Järvenpää, continuing to FOSS4G afterwards||12:00 train from London|
|11||Marko Järvenpää||AT||14.09. 13:00||FOSS4G||Four Seasons Guest House||continuing to FOSS4G afterwards||12:00 train from London|
|12||Dražen Odobašić||HR||12.09 11:45||--.--||Gatwick Airport|
|13||Borys Jurgiel||PL||12.09||16.09||Premier Inn||Sharing a room with Andreas|
|14||Yves Jacolin||FR||--.--||--.--||IBIS Brighton City Centre (booked)||Go to FOSS4G||Airport|
|15||Matteo Gismondi||IT/JP||12 SEPT 17.05||FOSS4G||IBIS (12-13-15) - 14th not yet booked||Not a developer, still eager to provide support||Heathrow Airport|
|16||Werner Macho||AT||11.Sept. 17.10 Gatwick||16. Sept. 16.55 Gatwick||Stay at Saber||Airport|
|17||Taro Matsuzawa||JP||11.09||16.09. FOSS4G||Preston Park Hotel, Lichfield House||Sharing a room with Ko||bus|
|18||Mathias Walker||CH||12.09||16.09. FOSS4G||IBIS||Willing to share a room||Airport|
|19||Jürgen Fischer||DE||12.09.||FOSS4G||IBIS||9.40 Airport STN|
|20||Matthias Kuhn||CH||12.9. 21:40||FOSS4G||IBIS||Sharing a room with Victor||Gatwick Airport|
|21||Stéphane Brunner||CH||11.09||16.09||ibis Brighton City Centre (booked)||Airport|
|22||Marco Hugentobler||CH||12.09.||16.09. FOSS4G||IBIS||Willing to share a room||Airport|
|23||Luca Casagrande||IT||12.09 (13:55) GTW||16.09 (10:00)||IBIS Booked||Airport|
|24||Denis Rouzaud||CH||12.09 07:30 GTW||16.09 1345 GTW||ibis booked||???|
|25||Otto Dassau||DE||13.09 (09:30)||15.09 (18:00)||IBIS||Sharing room with Lars Lingner||Gatwick Airport|
|26||Larissa Junek||DE||12.09 (11:55)||16.09 (21:00)||IBIS||Heathrow Airport|
|27||Martin Dobias||CS||12.09 (13:25)||16.09 (18:25)||Stay at Saber||Gatwick Airport|
|28||Andreas Neumann||CH||12.09 (22:05 (Gatwick))||16.09||Premier Inn||Sharing a room with Borys||Gatwick Airport|
|29||Victor Olaya||FR||12.09||16.09||Ibis||Sharing with Matthias Kuhn||Gatwick Airport|
|30||Alessandro Pasotti||IT||12.09||16.09||Ibis||--.--||Gatwick Airport|
|31||Carlos López Quintanilla||ES||8:00 am 12.09||16.09||Ibis (not yet booked)||willing to share a room||Gatwick Airport|
|32||Vincent Mora||FR||12.09||16.09||Hilton Brighton Metropole||Gatwick Airport 07:40 (am)|
|33||Hugo Mercier||FR||12.09||16.09||Hilton Brighton Metropole||Gatwick Airport|
|34||Richard Duivenvoorde||NL||12.09||16.09||Ibis||sharing room with Raymond||Car|
|35||Raymond Nijssen||NL||12.09||16.09||Ibis||sharing room with Richard||Car|
|36||Yoichi Kayama||JP||12.09||16.09 FOSS4G||Ibis (booked)||Heathrow|
|37||Ko Nagase||JP||14.09||16.09||Preston Park Hotel, Lichfield House||Heathrow|
|38||Michael Smith||US||--.00||--.--||Ibis (booked)||Arriving with DMorissette||Heathrow|
|39||Luigi Pirelli||IT/ES||12.09 (16:10)||17.09 (17:15)||Ibis (booked but 14th)||Available to share room||Heathrow|
|40||Daniel Morissette||CA||15.09 (pm)||16.09 FOSS4G||Ibis (booked)||Heathrow|
|41||Diethard Jansen||NL||13.09 (19:00)||16:09||HouseDean Farm Campsite||reserved a pitch, more tents are welcome||Car|
|42||Astrid Emde||DE||13.09 (13:00)||16:09||B&B||Train|
|43||Luiz Motta||BR||16:15:00 (11/09/2013)||16/09/2013 FOSS4G||IBIS||Gatwick Airport|
|44||Lars Lingner||DE||13.09||14.09||IBIS||sharing room with Otto Dassau - working on qgis-web-client||Train|
|45||Matteo Ghetta||IT||12 Sep 11.00||15 Sep 18.00||IBIS||Sharing room with Marco Bernasocchi||Gatwick Airport|
|46||Hal Seki||JP||13.09||16.09 FOSS4G||--||Heathrow|
|0||Foo||Bar||--.-- (13h00)||--.-- (15h00)||Some hotel||Something||Can you pick up someone?|
- Bring your own computer (and power supply!).
- Make sure you have the right power cable for UK plugs (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BritishPlugforWikipedia.jpg)
- Install git and the compiler tools, and come with a working QGIS development environment if possible.
- Is the QGIS Hackfest just a coding event?
- It is mainly a coding and documentation event. It is a working session for people who are already participants in the QGIS project and/or are committed to improving the QGIS project.
- On demand we can do some presentations of current working qgis implementation and new upcoming features to spread the idea of openGIS software
- Is the QGIS Hackfest for developers only?
- No: anybody can help, with testing, checking out bugs and fixes, documentation and more.
- Where can I get help and more information about the hackfest?
- Contact Peter Wells or Saber Razmjooei <info_at_lutraconsulting_dot_co_dot_uk>
Brighton is one of the major cities on the south coast of Great Britain. It is approximately 90 km south of London.
FOSS4G 2013 (Nottingham)¶
FOSS4G is happening around 320km north of Brighton, shortly after the QGIS hackfest.
Shuttle Bus from Brighton to Nottingham¶
We have now booked a bus from Brighton to Nottingham for the 21 of you who registered before the 9th of August deadline (see list below). The bus leaves Brighton at 14:00 on Monday the 16th (from nearby Brighton Rail Station) and gets to Nottingham (to the conference venue) later the same day. Please note that this is a ONE-WAY trip and you are responsible for travel arrangements for your onward journey post-FOSS4G. Lutra Consulting are covering the cost of the bus.
For those who need to get back to Brighton (or anywhere else for that matter) after FOSS4G, I recommend booking a train in advance. This can be done at http://www.thetrainline.com If booking well in advance, a trip from Nottingham to Brighton can cost as little as £36. Booking on the day will cost much more. Please note that the cheap tickets are Non-refundable and only valid for the date, time and trains specified so don't be late (better not rely on Android to wake you up in the morning!).
- Luigi pirelli cacelled presence in FOSS4G
The coach will depart at 14:00 pm on Monday 16/09 from here:
Please ensure to be at that location before 14:00.
Points of Interest Map for FOSS4G¶
We're also preparing a POI map for Nottingham: