12 QGIS Developer Meeting in Essen 2014¶
- 12 QGIS Developer Meeting in Essen 2014
- Period and location
- Further accommodation nearby
- Dining (Evenings)
- By plane
- By train from Essen Main Station
- By car
- Individual Preparation
- About Essen and the Ruhr area
Period and location¶
October 2nd-5th 2014, Essen, Linuxhotel (Germany). People can already arrive on Wednesday (1.10) late afternoon (6pm) and use the facilities in the evening.
Please note that the QGIS Developer Meeting starts on Thursday morning 2.10. and finishes on Sunday 5.10 afternoon. The reason is, that the Linuxhotel sponsors the event and they only have free rooms for this period and have to prepair their rooms for training courses starting on Monday again!
Essen is a city in the central part of the Ruhr area in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. Located on the River Ruhr, its population of approximately 579,000 makes it the 9th-largest city in Germany. For the year 2010, Essen was the European Capital of Culture on behalf of the whole Ruhr area. You find more information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essen
The Linuxhotel (http://www.linuxhotel.de) is one of the nodes for open source training in Germany. For years, they support open source projects financially as sponsor and/or provide space for developer and project meetings for special conditions (see: http://www.linuxhotel.de/community.en.html). The QGIS project is thankful that the Linuxhotel (Villa Vogelsang) will host and support the 12th QGIS Developer Meeting.
If you have questions please write to Otto Dassau <firstname.lastname@example.org>
D - 45279 Essen-Horst
Phone: 0049-(0)201 8536-600
Fax: 0049-(0)201 8536-605
We currently have 3 supporters / sponsors for the event :
(http://www.linuxhotel.de/) - Venue, accommodation, drinks, etc at very reasonable conditions.
(http://www.fossgis.de/) - Support with 1500 EUR.
(http://www.gbd-consult.de) - Organization
We try to make it possible for all participants to stay directly at the venue. The Linuxhotel provides special conditions for open source projects (see http://www.linuxhotel.de/community.html). The maximum number of beds for the special conditions (including single and double rooms, all rooms) is at about 27. If necessary, they would also allow participants with sleeping bags, tents, etc, but we would not really recommend that. If there will be more than 27 participants, you find further accomodation nearby at a normal rate. So, be sure, there is a solution for that.
Further accommodation nearby¶
1) Hotel Alte Lohnhalle
Distance: 6,7km (14 min by car)
2) Mintrops Land Hotel Burgaltendorf
on the other side of the Ruhr in eyeshot
Distance: 6,0km (13 Min. Auto), 20 min by bike
3) Hotel Franz
Distance: 6,6km (12 Min. Auto)
4) Avantgarde Hotel
located in the nice, old town Hattingen
Distance: 10,4km (13 Min. caar, S-Bahn 1 hour incl. footwalk)
5) Ferienwohnung Birgit Großmaas:
Distance: 3,3km (8 Min. by car/Taxi, 15 Min. bike)
6) Apartment Katrin & Peter Schüller
Distance: 4,9km (10 Min. Auto/Taxi)
7) If you don't mind camping, there is http://www.ruhrcamping.de only 600 meter from the linuxhotel.
You can sleep in a typical "Bauwagen".
We plan to go out for dinner on thursday (2.10.) all together. We have a reservation at about 7pm for the whole group at:
- Haus Großjung (about 1km walk from the linuxhotel) -> http://www.hausgrossjung.de
The other days we will stay at the linuxhotel, ordering Pizza, etc.
We might also organize tours for people who are interested, e.g. to
- Unperfekthaus http://www.unperfekthaus.de/restaurant/
- Eisenbahnmuseum Bochum http://www.eisenbahnmuseum-bochum.de/
or you just go by S-Bahn to the city of Essen.
The Linuxhotel (Villa Vogelsang) in Essen can be reached by plane, train, car, foot, bicycle, ...
There are several airports available. The websites show you, what airlines serve which airports.
- Airport Düsseldorf (http://www.duesseldorf-international.de/dus_en/). The Linuxhotel (Villa Vogelsang) is about 35 Minutes (with Taxi/Car) away from Düsseldorf airport and about 45 minutes by train (ICE to Essen HBF and then S3 to Essen-Horst - see "By train from Essen Main Station"). Costs are about 17 EUR.
- Airport Dortmund (http://www.dortmund-airport.de/5.html?&L=1). The Linuxhotel (Villa Vogelsang) is about 35 Minutes (with Taxi/Car) away from Dortmund airport and about 1:50 minutes by train (Bus and local train to Essen HBF and then S3 to Essen-Horst - see "By train from Essen Main Station"). Costs are about 14 EUR.
- Airport Cologne/Bonn (http://www.koeln-bonn-airport.de/index.php?id=1&L=1) The Linuxhotel (Villa Vogelsang) is about 50 Minutes from Cologne airport and about 1:40 minutes by train (ICE to Essen HBF and then S3 to Essen-Horst - see "By train from Essen Main Station"). Costs are about 19 EUR.
- Airport Weeze (http://www.airport-weeze.de/en). The Linuxhotel (Villa Vogelsang) is about 1:45h by Bus and local train away from Airport Weeze (Bus to Essen HBF and then S3 to Essen-Horst - see "By train from Essen Main Station"). Costs are about 20 EUR. The Bus timetable is here: http://www.airport-weeze.de/en/arriving_by_bus.html#overzicht_2
By train from Essen Main Station¶
You can buy tickets online at http://www.bahn.de/i/view/DEU/en/index.shtml
The nearest train station to the Linuxhotel is called "Horst S-Bahnhof Essen (Ruhr)" (S3). It is a 10 minutes walk away. The nearest train station with taxi waiting area is called "Essen-Steele". If you arrive from Essen main station at Horst S-Bahnhof Essen (Ruhr), then go under the tracks, up the hill, at the end right into "Lindkenshofer Weg". After 200m turn right again into "Eberhardstr.". This leads you straight to the brown wooden door of our villa Vogelsang. Also see figure: http://www.linuxhotel.de/pics/karte-s-bahnhof.png
Nearby Autobahn/Highway exits are:
- A40 Exit/Ausfahrt Nr. 27 "Essen-Kray"
- A40 Exit/Ausfahrt Nr. 26 "Essen-Frillendorf"
- A52 Exit/Ausfahrt Nr. 30 "Essen-Bergerhausen"
If you leave the Autobahn, drive in direction to "Essen-Steele" and follow the signs to "Essen-Horst". You will pass two super markets "Aldi" and "Lidl" and a level crossing. From the intersection Dahlhauser Straße/Von-Ossietzky-Ring in the center of Essen-Horst you will find signs to "Villa Vogelsang". Also see figure: http://www.linuxhotel.de/pics/karte-autobahn.png and http://www.linuxhotel.de/pics/karte-essen-horst.png.
- Processing help files
- image support
- advanced help files format (zip with RST document and images folder)
- Processing bugtrackers. We still have two separate bugtrackers for Processing, which is confusing for users and developers.
- Core Python plugins and their dependencies. This mainly related to MetaSearch plugin, it was added without wide discussion and brings new dependencies into QGIS sources. We need a policy for such cases. There are at least two possible solutions for dependencies:
- put all dependencies into QGIS core (as MetaSearch does)
- make core plugins with external dependencies inactive by default and add note in their description
- Merging QGIS context help and documentation
- QGIS Documentation - how can we organize regular funding for keep english documentation up-to-date
- QGIS Mapserver Python Plugins
- New geometry model (Curved types, support mmsql standard)
- Future of QGIS Web Client (migration to different client libraries)
- QGIS financials
- Donation handling
- getting new sponsors
- Discuss and plan next meeting in Denmark (Lene Fischer will be in Essen and would like to have a meeting on that)
please find other persons you would like to share a room with
|*#*||Participant||Country||Arrival||Arrival Time/Airport||Departure||Departure Time/Airport||Share room with||Accomodation||Notes|
|1||Otto Dassau||Germany||01.10||14:00 Linuxhotel||05.10||18:00||single room (2/2)||Linuxhotel||Documentation, ...|
|2||Richard Duivenvoorde||The Netherlands||02.10||05.10||sharing double room with Raymond (3/6)||Linuxhotel|
|3||Larissa Junek||Germany||02.10||18:00 Linuxhotel||04.10||16:00||single room (1/2)||Linuxhotel|
|5||Paolo Cavallini||Italy||01.10||15:15 Cologne/Bonn||01.10 (in Essen 2.10 in the morning)||19:05 Cologne/Bon||shared apartment (4/4)||Linuxhotel||I may stay in Cologne for one night upon arrival and arrive in the morning of 2nd|
|6||Denis Rouzaud||Switzerland||01.10||21:57 (Essen HBF)||05.10||10:00 (Essen HBF)||shared apartment (2/4)||Linuxhotel|
|7||Giovanni Manghi||Portugal||02.10||12:35 (Dusseldorf)||06.10||13:20 (Dusseldorf)||sharing double room with Andre Mano 1/6||Linuxhotel||Bug hunting, testing and fixes (Processing)|
|8||Hugo Martins||Portugal||02.10||12:35 (Dusseldorf)||06.10||13:20 (Dusseldorf)||sharing double room with Alexandre Neto||Linuxhotel|
|9||Alexandre Neto||Portugal||02.10||12:35 (Dusseldorf)||06.10||13:20 (Dusseldorf)||sharing double room with Hugo Martins||Linuxhotel||User Manual screenshots, Plugins|
|10||Raymond Nijssen||The Netherlands||02.10||05.10||sharing double room with Richard (3/6). Passing Weeze Airport by car with empty backseat.||Linuxhotel|
|11||Alessandro Pasotti||Italy||02.10||DUSSELDORF 15:10||05.10||DUSSELDORF 15:00||shared apartment (3/4)||Linuxhotel|
|12||Victor Olaya||France||02.10||DUSSELDORF 14:05||05.10||Sharing double room with Alexander Bruy (4/6)||Linuxhotel|
|13||Martin Isenburg||Germany||02.10||8:15 AM (Essen Hbf)||05.10||someone who does not snore (-;||Linuxhotel|
|14||Tim Sutton||South Africa||01.10||13:35 (Dusseldorf Airport)||05.10||sharing double room with Werner Macho(2/6)||Linuxhotel|
|15||Luigi Pirelli||Spain/Italy||01.10||(DUSSELDORF 22:15)||05.10||(DUSSELDORF 12:10)||sharing double with 1 additional bed (1/3)||Linuxhotel|
|16||Sören Gebbert||Germany||02.10||18:00 Linuxhotel||05.10||15:00||shared apartment (1/4)||Linuxhotel|
|17||Matthias Kuhn||Switzerland||03.10||05.10||sharing triple room with Andreas and someone else||Linuxhotel|
|18||Yves Jacolin||France||01.10||16:07 (Essen HBF)||05.10||Linuxhotel|
|19||Arnaud Morvan||France||01.10||16:07 (Essen HBF)||05.10||Linuxhotel|
|20||Andre Mano (ITC)||The Netherlands||02.10||12:00 (Essen HBF)||05.10||17:00 (Essen HBF)||sharing double room with Giovanni Manghi 1/6||Linuxhotel||translation, testing and bug hunt|
|21||Alexander Bruy||Ukraine||02.10||12:25 (Dusseldorf)||05.10||14:00 (Dusseldorf)||Sharing double room with Victor Olaya (4/6)||Linuxhotel|
|22||Andreas Neumann||Switzerland||01.10||18:24||04.10||09:15||Sharing triple room with Matthias and someon else||Linuxhotel||QGEP, QGIS Web Client|
|23||Werner Macho||Austria||02.10||08:45 DUS Airport||05.10||20:00 DUS Airport||sharing double room with Tim Sutton(2/6)||Linuxhotel||Translation, Documentation|
|24||Mathias Walker||Switzerland||02.10.||12:57 (Essen HBF)||05.10.||sharing double room with Sandro Mani||Linuxhotel||OpenLayers Plugin, QGIS Web Client|
|25||Sandro Mani||Switzerland||02.10.||12:57 (Essen HBF)||05.10.||sharing double room with Mathias Walker||Linuxhotel|
|26||Carlos López Quintanilla||Spain (Catalonia)||01.10||9:15 (Düsseldorf)||05.10||20:45 (Düsseldorf)||Sharing double room with David Erill (5/6).
We will be in Linuxhotel at night
|Linuxhotel||Translation, test, plugins|
|27||David Erill Carrera||Spain (Catalonia)||01.10||9:15 (Düsseldorf)||05.10||20:45 (Düsseldorf)||Sharing double room with Carlos López (5/6)||Linuxhotel||Develop plugins|
The Linuxhotel provides exactly 27 beds. If there are more than 27 participants, you can still add your name. You can find accommodation nearby in the list above. If you have problems, please contact Otto Dassau <dassau_at_gbd-consult.de>. We will try to help you find some good place to stay.
|1||Stefan Ziegler||Switzerland||01.10. (late afternoon)||04.10.||near the linuxhotel||QGIS Web Client, Arcs/Curves|
|2||Martin Dobias||Slovakia||01.10. 17:00 Cologne||05.10. afternoon (car)||camping||feeling dizzy already|
|3||Peter Wells||UK||01.10. evening (car)||05.10. afternoon (car)||camping|
|4||Andreas Schmid||Switzerland||01.10.(late afternoon)||04.10.||near the linuxhotel||QGIS Web Client, documentation|
|5||Diethard Jansen||Netherlands||02.10.||05.10.||RuhrCamping near linuxhotel||Translation, Documentation & learn Epanet plugin|
|6||Marco Hugentobler||Switzerland||03.10||05.10.||near linuxhotel||Arcs/Curves, QGIS server|
|7||Matteo Ghetta||Italy||01.10 (01 o'clock of night in Essen)||05.10 (morning)||Linuxhotel+camping/tent?||Documentation, translation, Processing help files|
|8||Lene Fischer||Denmark||03.10 Düsseldorf||5.10 Düsseldorf||Bola Kultur Hostel Ruhr||Sponsor, Plan next Codesprint in Denmark, Documentation, translation|
- Bring your own computer (and power supply!). Better with a power bar, compatible plug and long cable, and ethernet cable (we'll provide wifi, but better you have a cable, too).
- Install git and the compiler tools, and come with a working QGIS development environment if possible.
- Is the QGIS Hackfest just a coding event?
- It is mainly a coding and documentation event. It is a working session for people who are already participants in the QGIS project and/or are committed to improving the QGIS project.
- On demand we can do some presentations of current working qgis implementation and new upcoming features to spread the idea of openGIS software
- Is the QGIS Hackfest for developers only?
- No: anybody can help, with testing, checking out bugs and fixes, documentation and more.
- Where can I get help and more information about the hackfest?
- Contact Otto Dassau <dassau_at_gbd-consult.de>
About Essen and the Ruhr area¶
- http://rue-oktoberfest.de/ :)