1. QGIS Hackfest in Hannover 2009¶
- 1. QGIS Hackfest in Hannover 2009
- Room Share
- Individual Preparation
From Thursday, March 19, 2009 - Sunday, March 22, 2009 the Quantum GIS project will hold a QGIS Developer Meeting, aka 'QGIS Hackfest' in Hannover, Germany.
Get together QGIS project members to make decisions and tackle larger problems. We have chosen Hannover in Germany, because many QGIS developers and users will be at the FOSSGIS conference from March 17 - March 19, 2009 at Leibniz-University Hannover. Hannover has an international airport and is well reachable by train and car. For this meeting we welcome people committed to improving the Quantum GIS project. This includes developers, documenters, bug reporters etc..
FYI: There will also already be a short QGIS User Meeting "Quantum GIS Anwendertreffen" at the FOSSGIS Conference on Wednesday March, 18th from 5.30pm -7pm: http://www.fossgis.de/konferenz/wiki/Mittwoch%2C_18._März_2009
We welcome financial contributions to support the meeting and we are still looking for sponsors to cover costs such as meals or to help reducing travelling and accommodation expenses for QGIS developers with far arrival. If you are also interested to sponsor the QGIS hackfest, please contact Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia dot it>. Any surplus at the end of the event will be turned over to the Quantum GIS project (find more information about QGIS sponsorship here). A final event budget will be available here after the meeting.
The first annual QGIS hackfest is a great occasion for you to support the development of QGIS. With your contribution you'll enable more developers to meet in Hannover. The hackfest is an important opportunity for the QGIS developers to discuss and collaboratively resolve bugs, plan the direction for the project and work on new features. The developers and contributors are donating their valuable time, so it would be great if in-kind funding can be made available from within the community to cover out-of-pocket expenses. All of the work that takes place at the hackfest will be directly contributed back into the QGIS project to the benifit of everyone who uses it.
Many thanks to our sponsors!
- German FOSSGIS e.V. sponsors the meeting with 500 Euro.
- Institute of Environmental Planning, Hannover provides the venue
- nature-consult provides technical equipment
When: Thursday, March 19, 2009 - Sunday, March 22, 2009
- Thursday afternoon from approximately 2pm-6pm
- Friday and Saturday from approximately 9am-5pm
- Sunday from approximately 9am-2pm
Institute of Environmental Planning (Institut für Umweltplanung (IUP)) at the University of Hannover
Herrenhäuser Str. 2
Room D007 (incl. WLAN, beamer, whiteboard)
From Hannover central station (Hauptbahnhof) or FOSSGIS conference use tram line 4 (direction Garbsen) or 5 (direction Stöcken) (see tram network map).
Note: The program is generally open for your ideas. Please write an email to the QGIS developer list to discuss your contribution.
|Thursday||10-15 min 'vision' talks followed by discussions about architectural and UI changes to aim for in QGIS 2.x|
|Friday||The topics depend on thursday presentations and discussions|
|Saturday||The topics depend on thursday presentations and discussions|
|Sunday||final discussion and future ideas ; close hackfest with a brunch nearby|
- Hannover Tourist Information
- CVJM-Hotel single 50€, double 76€
- Hannover Youth Hostel 30€ - 40€ per night
- Gästehaus am Herrenhäuser Garten single 60€ - 130€ , double 90€ - 150€
- Hotel Schlaf Gut single 90€ per night
- Gästehaus Herrenhausen single 50€ - 90€ , double 90€ - 120€
- Hannover.de all about Hannover (accomodation, arrival/departure, sightseeing, ...)
Participants should plan for the following costs:
- Travel to Hannover, variable depending on where you are.
- Accommodation for (at least) three nights, €120 to €450 depending on what room you choose and whether you room share.
- Meals. Dinners at least, we try to be able to cover as much as possible if we can find sponsors.
We are planning for attendance of max 20 people. Please add your name here or contact Otto Dassau <otto.dassau at gmx dot de>:
- Jürgen E. Fischer (Germany) attendance confirmed
- Marco Hugentobler (Switzerland) attendance confirmed for Thursday and Friday
- Tim Sutton (South Africa) attendance confirmed
- Otto Dassau (Germany) attendance confirmed
- Werner Macho (Austria) attendance confirmed
- Martin Dobias (Slovakia) attendance confirmed - Friday to Sunday
- Carson Farmer (Ireland) attendance confirmed
- Borys Jurgiel (Poland) attendance confirmed
- Horst Düster (Switzerland) attendance confirmed for Thursday and Friday
If you would like to room share,
- Reserve a room at the hotel, choosing a type with more than one bed.
- Put your name in this section, indicating the amount of space in your room.
Put your names below:
- example entry: B has a triple room, needs two roommates.
- Werner Macho needs accomodation - if someone wants to go into a (cheaper) room please contact me
- Bring your own computer (WLAN (WPA2) is available)
- Install subversion and the compiler tools, and come with a working QGIS development environment if possible.
- Is the QGIS Hackfest just a coding event?
- It is mainly a coding and documentation event. It is a working session for people who are already participants in the QGIS project and/or are committed to improving the QGIS project.
- Where can I get help and more information about the hackfest?
- Contact Otto Dassau <otto.dassau at gmx dot de>