- Display QGIS layers on top of 3D globe
- Custom DEMs
- Multiple DEMs
- Custom 3D model for point layer
- Stereo Display
- Navigation controls
- Extent synchronisation with 2D window
- "fly to" paths
- GUI for DEM config, Stereo mode, synchronization
- Configuration of Symbolization with QGIS (same rendering engine)
- HTTP Proxy support
- Vector reprojection to WGS-84
Supported data formats¶
The globe plugin is included in the QGIS sources, but not built by default.
It currently not in a stable state for many configurations. There are configurations which work quite good, but others definitevely not.
The globe started as a research project and was extended during a master thesis at the University of Zurich. But several places need a review and maybe a rewrite to bring the globe to a stable state.
In the meantime, the two well maintained and stable base libraries got major updates. OpenSceneGraph (OSG) is available in version 3.0.x and OsgEarth is available in version 2.1.The following aspects of the globe should be reviewed for stability:
- Multithreaded QGIS core: The globe was developed based on Martins threading branch. Since there are now basic locks to avoid parallel rendering, the globe can be run without a multithreaded QGIS core.
- OSG-QT OpenGL adapter: The original QT adapater from OSG got updates in the meantime and OsgEarth includes a QT binding in its newest version.
- OSG version compatibility: Some stablity problems could be caused by specific library versions.
- Dynamic layer configuration: OSGEarth support for adding, updating and deleting (DEM or QGIS tile) layers dynamically is improving. QGIS globe should be adapted to the newest OSGEarth version.
- Plugin startup and cleanup: There are problems on startup (window for OpenGL capability detection e.g.) and in cleaning up after layer updates or closing the globe window.
- Update to current OsgEarth/OSG
- Merge threading branch
- Alternative: Add more locks in QGIS core
- Stabilization&Memory consumption fixes for globe
- OTF reprojection support (Vector, Raster, but not DEM's)
Student project HSR¶
- Einrichten Ubuntu / git clone osgearth / git clone QuantumGis
- C++ Einarbeitung
- Git Einarbeitung
- QT4 Einarbeitung
- osgearth compilieren
- osgearth/QT Minimalapp.
- osgearth Minimal QGIS-Plugin
- Globe plugin anpassen
- 21.5. Aufsetzen Entwicklungsumgebung bei SP
- Ab Mitte Juni: Hauptentwicklungsarbeit