To create a set of tools and/or plugins for hydrological and hydraulic modelling. The idea is to use QGIS as a platform for pre/post process GIS input to hydrologic and hydraulic models similar to SMS
Free and Open Source¶
- GRASS GIS modules: rich set of modules provided
- AnuGA: The existing plugin requires lots of improvement.
- pihmgis: This QGIS plugin is a modified frontend to the "Penn State Integrated Hydrologic Model"
and includes some terrain analysis functionality. Terrain analysis is based on old non-free TauDEM precursors. You might like to check some of the other links at http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-community-team/2011-October/001713.html, and watch out for issue 1 & 2 described at https://github.com/mlt/PIHM/wiki/Issues.
- Midvatten Plugin for QGIS: This plugin is a toolset for viewing hydrogeological data stored in a SQLite database, incorporating modified versions of Time Series Plot Pluging and the ARPAT-plugin
- TAUDEM: Terrain Analysis Using Digital Elevation Models is a suite of Digital Elevation Model (DEM) tools for the extraction and analysis of hydrologic information from topography as represented by a DEM
Free (as in beer)¶
- Hec-Ras: Worth having a look at what has been done in Mapwindow. Not clear on the licensing.
- BASEMENT: Free Hydraulics Tool - slow calculations but worth a try.
- SWMM: It can be used as a hydrological tool as well. (Alister 2011-06-28: where is the licensing information for SWMM? The source is available, but it doesn't seem to say. I'm wondering if it is Public Domain).
- Tuflow: Used to work with mid/mif files only but the recent versions work with shapefiles. All the tools are already there (esp. Point Sampling tool)
- InfoWorks: They offer software packages for surface water, water distribution and catchment modelling.
- Towards open and interoperable hydrological library
- 2D model benchmarking
- GRASS GIS hydrological articles
Other tools you might find useful¶
- inp.PINS Use this tool to generate SWMM input file (.inp) based on GIS files (shape and DEM grid files) and also, after SWMM modeling, to built flood plain shape files by combining the result SWMM file (.rpt) with a DEM grid.
- BASINS Better Assessment Science Integrating point & Non-point Sources from the US EPA. Based on Mapwindow. Interfaces with models such as SWMM5, WASP7, and SWAT 2005.
- HEC-RAS import/export utility for Mapwindow
- Ian Packham - I am also developing a frontend for a Catchment Management Tool within the Pathways project
- Robert Szczepanek
- add yourself here