This page provides services, links, and various interesting information for QGIS users. It is managed by the Community Team (Users and Conference Corner Team Lead) Lars Stöwesand. If you plan to contribute to this page or to the Conference Corner, please contact Lars Stöwesand using the qgis-community-team mailing list.
- Users Corner
- How to get QGIS
- How to use QGIS
- Hints and tips
- Special interest groups
- Add additional functionality (Plug-ins)
- How to contribute
- Wish Lists
- Usage Reports
- Conference Corner
- QGIS Developer Meetings (Hackfests and Bughuntings)
- QGIS User Meetings
- Even more
How to get QGIS¶
The current release is available from http://download.qgis.org/
- You'll find instructions for supported OS on the Download page
- getting help with the OSGeo4wSetup Windows installer
- QGIS installation guide for Linux systems (in Russian)
Our sample dataset can be downloaded at http://download.osgeo.org/qgis/data/You can find the Changelogs of the latest versions at:
- QGIS 1.7.2 'Wroclaw'
- QGIS 1.7.1 'Wroclaw'
- QGIS 1.7.0 'Wroclaw'
- QGIS 1.6.0 'Copiapó' Changelog
- QGIS 1.5.0 Changelog
- QGIS 1.4.0 'Enceladus' Changelog
- QGIS 1.3.0 'Mimas' Changelog
- QGIS 1.2.0 'Daphnis' Changelog
- QGIS 1.1.0 'Pan' Changelog
- QGIS 1.0.0 'Kore' Presentation
How to use QGIS¶
- User guide
- Using OpenStreetMap data
- How do I do that in QGIS? - A set of how-tos for common QGIS tasks
- QGIS tutorial revised for QGIS 1.4 from Amanda Wallace and Thomas R. Mueller. Department of Earth Sciences, California University of Academia.edu
- QGIS questions on the gis.stackexchange - A source of Q&As for QGIS and other GIS systems.
- GIS Practicum Manual - Introduction to GIS Using Open Source Software - This manual is used in the day-long workshop held at Baruch each semester, Introduction to GIS Using Open Source Software using QGIS.
- QGIS basics for journalists - QGIS is a free, open source GIS application for Windows and Mac that provides a great starting point for journalists who want to learn to explore data with maps.
- Beginning QGIS - In this tutorial we will learn how to use Quantum GIS, or QGIS, a free, open-source application for working with geographic mobile data.
- Quantum GIS Tutorials - Beginner to Advanced level Quantum GIS tutorials with screenshots
- Quantum GIS 1.8 course with 44 labs/videos about remote sensing & terrain analysis (in Greek) + Free Geodata from Greece by George Ch. Miliaresis
- Guia do Usuário da versão 1.7.4 do QGIS (in Portuguese)
- Apostila Quantum GIS Incra - 5ª versão (in Portuguese)
- Cartografia de Risco de Incêndio Florestal com Software Open Source - Elaboração e Disponibilização - Aplicação ao Concelho de Pinhel (Portugal) by Pedro Nuno Gomes Venâncio (in Portuguese)
- Video about Water Resources Management with QGIS (in Spanish).
- Fiches d’aide à QuantumGIS (in French)
- Introdução ao QGIS (in Portuguese)
- Introductión al manejo del software libre Quantum GIS 1.6 (3MB) including Data practicos (22MB) (in Spanish)
- Instalação do QGIS versão 1.5 'Tethys' (in Portuguese)
- de Complementos (Plugins) do QGIS (in Portuguese)
- Análise Espacial de Dados de Parcelas Georreferenciadas (in Portuguese)
- Realizando uma consulta simples (in Portuguese)
- Simbolizando com arquivos de estilos (in Portuguese)
- Exportação vetorial em diferentes Sistemas Geodésicos de Referência (in Portuguese)
- Cálculo de área de parcelas (in Portuguese)
- Utilizando diferentes Sistemas Geodésicos de Referência (in Portuguese)
- Utilizando o Plugin CADTools (in Portuguese)
- Visualização de arquivos DGN (in Portuguese)
- Cálculo de comprimento de linhas (in Portuguese)
- Manual do QGIS 1.4.0 (traduzido pelo SIPAM) (in Portuguese)
- Elaboración de polígonos Thiessen con QGIS (In Spanish)
- Georeferenciación de imagen con QGIS
- Série “Quebrando tabus”: visualizar orientação da declividade usando o QGIS (in Portuguese)
- Trabalhando com Favoritos Geográficos no QGIS (in Portuguese)
- Instalando Plugins Python no Quantum GIS (in Portuguese)
- Geração de Centróides no Quantum GIS (in Portuguese)
- Hiperlink no Quantum GIS (in Portuguese)
- Criar Mapfile a partir do Quantum GIS (in Portuguese)
- Conectar PostGis com o Quantum GIS (in Portuguese)
- Importando Shapefile para o PostGis via Ferramenta do Quantum GIS (in Portuguese)
- building a standalone application using PyQGIS - (in Spanish)
- Creating standalone application using Python and QGIS (in Russian)
- QGIS GRASS Cookbook - Collection of recipes for typical GIS tasks
Hints and tips¶
- Using Projections - Using dynamic projections, examples are given from a GPS usage case.
- Georeferencing using QGIS (in Russian)
- Workaround limitation for adding fields to shapefiles in QGIS (in Russian)
- Editing vector data in QGIS (in Russian)
- Connecting to ArcSDE databases
- Connecting to ArcGIS 'mapserver' REST layers
Special interest groups¶
Add additional functionality (Plug-ins)¶
Additional plugins for QGIS are available in Python Plugin Repositories.
How to contribute¶
Did you attend any fair or conference with QGIS users in action? You have information, oppionions, or photos to share? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
To make sure, developers find your improvement ideas, please subscribe to the QGIS bug tracker and add your whishes there as well!
The conference corner provides services, links and various interesting information about conferences where QGIS is or could be presented. If you are willing to present QGIS on a conference or if you would like to make other qgis user related contributions to the Users Corner, please write to the qgis-community-team mailing list.
QGIS Developer Meetings (Hackfests and Bughuntings)¶
- 10. QGIS Developer Meeting in Brighton 2013
- 9. QGIS Developer Meeting in Valmiera 2013
- 8. QGIS Developer Meeting in Essen 2012
- 7. QGIS Developer Meeting in Lyon 2012
- 6. QGIS Developer Meeting in Zurich 2011
- 5. QGIS Hackfest in Lisbon 2011
- 4. QGIS Hackfest in Wroclaw 2010
- 3. QGIS Hackfest in Pisa 2010
- 2. QGIS Hackfest in Vienna 2009
- 1. QGIS Hackfest in Hannover 2009
QGIS User Meetings¶
- Aussie QGIS User Meeting, April 2013
- 2. German-Speaking QGIS User Meeting in Rapperswil, May 6, 2011
- 1. German-Speaking QGIS User Meeting in Berne, April 21 2010
- QGIS Day, Lisbon, 14th April 2011 (http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/5_QGIS_Hackfest_in_Lisbon_2011#Venue)